Saturday, April 6, 2013

Up the creek!

This is the southern crossing of the James River. I was able to pick my way through on the rocks so I didn't even get my feet wet.

And this is the northern crossing. I had to think about this one before going for it. 

This is an area just beyond the northern crossing.  I didn't really find anything interesting to paint along this road, however I did find a few interesting barns on my may to this area. 

Here's my trailer and truck in the Peach Country RV Park in Stonewall, Texas.
Actually, I wasn't up the creek, I was in the river...the James River. I'm not 100% certain that's the name of the river but I was driving along the James River Road, so I assumed it must be the James River. A couple of local artists told me that I should see that area, so I took their advice. The James River Road is in Mason County and can be entered from the north or south. I entered from the south and drove for miles and miles along seemingly abandoned dirt roads before finding it. I was out in the boonies, to say the least. I wasn't told that I'd have to cross the river...twice! The southern crossing was a breeze since I could see the bottom the entire distance. The northern crossing caused me some concern. I couldn't see the bottom and there wasn't a flood gauge to show the depth. The water was flowing slowly and my truck sets pretty high above the ground so I decided to go for it. I don't know how deep the water was but I made it across safely. If I had been in a car, I would have turned around. I took a few pictures along the way and will share some of them with you. I'll also post one picture of my trailer in the RV park in Stonewall, Texas.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment