Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Willow City Loop!

This is on the Willow City Loop. When I was here 3 years ago, the distant field that you see in the valley floor was solid blue with bluebonnets. 

This is also on the Willow City Loop. It was late evening and the setting sun was casting that warm, orangish light on everything and creating those long shadows that I love so much. 
It's Saturday evening. Tomorrow, I'll start packing away all the things that I won't be needing until after the move so as to make things easier on myself on Monday morning. On Monday, by the time I have breakfast, shower, pack away all of the items that might bounce around and break while traveling, move the slides in, hitch-up the truck to the trailer, disconnect and store the water line, drain hose and shore power cord, about two and a half hours will have passed. I'm probably slower at doing all those things than most people would be, but that's just my nature. I wish I was an early riser but that's not the case either. So, even forcing myself to get up earlier than normal, it'll probably be at least 10:00 A.M. or even later, before I actually head out.

I've already reserved a space in Ft. Stockton, Texas, which is about 310 west of Stonewall. Barring any problems, it should be an easy day's drive. My actual destination is Terlingua, which is another 150 miles away. But, I decided that since I'm not familiar with that area, I want to check it out first before making longer term reservations. My plan is to spend the first night in Ft. Stockton and then, leaving my trailer behind, drive to Big Bend the next day to scout things out. Terlingua is very near the park border, so I'll get to check out their RV park at that time. If I like what I see, I'll drive back to Ft. Stockton, spend one more night there and then pack up and move again the next day. If I don't like what I see...well, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

The last few days, I've kind of been in limbo, just waiting for moving day. This evening, I decided to go out one last time for pictures. I drove to the small town of Sandy...at least I think I did. I didn't really see anything that looked like a town, only one or two farmhouses. From there, I drove west to the Willow City Loop, a 13 mile scenic loop off highway 16, between Fredericksburg and Llano. I've been on the loop many times, but the wildflowers aren't doing much this year so, after only a few miles, I turned around and came back home. I took a couple of pictures on the loop and will share those with you.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment