Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Herding cows with my truck!

This is the Worm Moon rising. Honest, that's it's name, according to the Farmers' Almanac!
A beautiful sunset, between Stonewall and Fredericksburg, Texas.
GOOD LORD!!! What is that thang?!!! I knew the Longhorns had longhorns but I'd never seen any like this!
It's a rainy, dreary evening in Stonewall, Texas...again. It seems like it's been days since the sun has shone so I've just been hanging around my trailer, waiting for better weather so I can get back out and continue my search for subject matter. This area is in dire need of some serious rain but we've only been getting sprinkles for the last few days. They are predicting storms later tonight but, so far, it's still just drizzling.

About the only excitement that I have to tell you about is getting to use my pickup to herd some cattle! The other evening, I went out for a drive just before sunset and rounded a bend in the highway, only to see 8 cows in the middle of the road. I saw them early enough to where I was able to slow down safely and then, crept my truck slowly through them. With night coming on, I was afraid other drivers might not see them in time and drive straight into them at highway speeds. I called 911 and explained the situation to the operator, who said she'd send a deputy out to take care of it. I waited around with my truck flashers on to alert other drivers and soon, the deputy showed up, as promised. He asked if I was willing to help so, together, he and I were soon herding the cattle down the road. It was kind of fun, being able to drive my pickup from the ditch on one side of the highway, across the highway and into the other ditch and then back again, without being ticketed for it. The deputy finally told me that he had the situation under control and that I could leave. Rats! Just when I was having fun!!!

I haven't taken any photos lately, due to the weather, but I thought you might like to see some that I took a few days ago. Hope you enjoy them.

Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment