Sunday, July 14, 2013

Along the way!

My first view of Scott's Bluff National Monument.

Overlooking the North Platte River.

This is just to the west of Scott's Bluff National Monument.

Sunset. 
Once again, I'm having to play catch-up. I've put quite a few miles behind me since my last post and have taken lots of pictures since then. After leaving the Texas hill country, I stopped in the Texas panhandle to visit my brother who is ill, and my sister who is there helping to take care of him. I spent 15 days there but finally hitched-up in early July and started making my way to Montana. I spent my first night on the road in Oakley, Kansas, but didn't take any pictures there. The next day, I made my way to Sidney, Nebraska, where I would spend the next two nights.

Being in Sidney, I wasn't far from Scott's Bluff National Monument but wasn't sure I wanted to make the drive. It was about 50 miles away but I'd already spent plenty of time in the driver's seat of my F-250 and the thought of just having a lazy day appealed to me. But the chance to see new country and possibly find new subjects to paint finally won out...and I'm glad it did.

Even though Scott's Bluff is a relatively small park, it is very scenic. The road from the visitor's center to the top of the bluff is only one and a half miles long but I passed thru 3 tunnels on the way. Once at the top, I was impressed with the view. The bluff is located in the middle of the plains, so being on top of the 800 foot tall monument allowed me to see for miles and miles and miles. Looking to the east, the city of Scott's Bluff was the backdrop which, in my opinion, detracted from the view...but that's just me. The views to the south and west were beautiful!

After leaving Sidney, I spent the next night in Casper, Wyoming. I was only there one night and didn't bother unhitching. The next morning, I headed out with Montana in my sights!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment