Thursday, May 2, 2013

One crow and four buzzards!

I'm not familiar enough with Big Bend to recognize the landmarks. I can just tell you that this is a pretty typical view in the desert areas of the park. 

This one, I do recognize. It's the Mule Ears Peaks.

I'll just call this one "Big Bend desert and mountains".
As I've mentioned before, I recently spent a week in the Big Bend area of Texas. With the daytime temperatures starting to soar, most tourists have left the area and only a few stragglers, such as myself, remained. On some of the days, the temperature was bearable, but most were really hot, dry and windy. I wasn't the only one to notice the challenging conditions. One day when I was in my trailer at the RV park in Terlingua, I looked out the window and noticed a worker watering the newly planted trees. He had built a small dike around the base of each tree and would fill it with a few gallons of water before moving on to the next one. No sooner had he left the area before one crow and four buzzards swooped down and landed at the base of the tree and began to drink the water. I realized at that point that I was truly living in the desert!

I'm currently in Alpine, Texas, which is only 80 miles north of the Terlingua area, where I was last week. There is something in this area that I wanted to see for myself. I'll tell you about that soon.

Until next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment