Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Nothin' works in the boonies!

As I was on highway 118,  just a few miles north of Study Butte, I saw this interesting rock...or mountain...I'm not sure. 

Here's a little closer look at it. 

The wind was kicking up a lot of dust on my first day in the park. This is on the western edge, not too far from Maverick Junction.
Hey! It's been awhile since I've created a new post but I have a good excuse. For the last week, I've been in Big Bend National Park in Texas and had my trailer stationed nearby in Study (pronounced Stoody) Butte. I found that getting online is practically impossible in either location and my phone only worked in a few areas and, even then, it only worked if I held my head just right. So, updating my blog wasn't an option.

Big Bend is a large park with a few main roads and a considerable number of dirt roads. The main east/west road is approx. 50 miles long and stretches from Maverick Junction on the western side, to Boquillas Canyon on the eastern side. From that road, there is a paved road that goes to Santa Elena Canyon, another to the Chisos Basin and a third to Persimmon Gap on the northern edge of the park. And of course, along each of those, there are many other places to stop and explore.

When I first entered the western edge of the park at Maverick Junction, I decided to take one of the dirt roads called Old Maverick Road which is approx. 13 miles long. It is essentially a short cut to Santa Elena Canyon. What I didn't know at the time is that it is 13 miles of dirt road that has a washboard surface and, if you're in a truck with stiff suspension like my F-250, it will beat you to death!!! I didn't think I was ever going to get off that road. Over the next 7 days, I visited Santa Elena Canyon several times but only once did I get there by taking Old Maverick Road.

I left Big Bend this morning and will spend the next couple of nights in Alpine, located only 80 miles north on highway 118. I took hundreds of photos while in Big Bend and will be posting some of those over the next few days or weeks.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment