Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Tombstone, Arizona!

Looking northeast from my rig, these are the Dragoon Mountains at dawn.

Afternoon light on the Dragoons.

In the Saguaro National Park on the west side of Tucson.

In the Saguaro National Park on the east side of Tucson. 

Hello from Tombstone, Arizona! Actually, the mailing address for this RV park is in Huachuca (pronounced Wa-chu-ca) City, Arizona but I think it's a little closer to Tombstone than Huachuca City. I arrived here on the first of October but, rather than setting out to explore the area as I normally would, I immediately sat up shop and started painting. The NatureWorks Art Show in Tulsa starts in late February and I needed to get several paintings ready for the show.

Every once in awhile, I'd put down my paint brushes and go for a drive. I found that neither Tombstone nor Huachuca City have much to offer in the way of restaurants, grocery stores or anything else for that matter. If you need something, you'll have to drive south to Sierra Vista, approx. 20 miles away. It's a nice little town and has a good variety of restaurants, grocery stores, hardware stores, barber shops and so on. I found myself making this drive at least once a week, just to get out of my rig for awhile.

There are two Saguaro National Parks not far from here, one on the east side and the other on the west side of Tucson. I visited both while here and took a few pictures. Unfortunately, the main road thru the western park was closed for resurfacing but I was able to get to the dirt road "loop" and see at least some of the park.

My plans were to spend the entire winter in southern Arizona but, as usual, my plans are a-changing, as they say. The furnace in my rig is giving me problems again, and, with temps now dropping down into the 30's at night, I'm getting kind of chilly. The warranty expired a long time ago but the dealer where I bought my rig has agreed to give me a little break on pricing so I'll be packing up and heading for Tulsa by the end of this week. Once the furnace problem is fixed, I think I'll probably head down towards San Antonio, Texas and spend the rest of the winter there.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment